Following the making of my fish pie, I had leftover mashed potatoes and did not want to waste it. So after googling a bit on the use of mashed potatoes, I decided this was the easiest way to use it up! So...trust me, they're yummy...and since the mashed potatoes were already seasoned, all I needed was three other ingredients:
Leftover mashed potatoes
1 beaten egg
About 2 heaping tbsp of plain flour
About 2 heaping tbsp of breadcrumbs
Oil for frying
Chilli / Tomato Sauce for dipping
- Firstly lay out two plates, one with a kitchen towel and one without.
- Then on two other plates, properly distribute the flour on one and the breadcrumbs on another. Then a bowl for the beaten egg.
- Arrange the plates in this order: first plate without kitchen towel, plate with flour, bowl with egg, plate with breadcrumbs and finally plate with kitchen towel.
- Pat a ball of mashed potatoes and flatten it and place on the first plate. Repeat the same process until mashed potatoes are finished.
- Then flour the potato patties, pat it lightly to discard any loose flour and then coat it with egg before placing it on the breadcrumbs and cover it before transfering to the final plate with the kitchen towel. Repeat the same process until all patties are done.
- Heat up a frying pan with some oil and fry until golden brown.
- Serve up with spicy chilli sauce or sweet chilli sauce
A perfect condiment actually for your serving of burgers and an alternative to french fries!
Yums it was, but now for something sweet!
The Innovative Baker